This unique waterproofing material is made of the highly viscous liquid form of petroleum and bitumen and is used on flat or inclined concrete roofs. The word App stands for Atatactic polypropylene. It’s black. It prevents leakage and penetration of rainwater.
App membranes are sheets in the form of rolls. They are thick to about 5 mm, and one roll is sized 10 meters long and 1 meter wide. Apart from roofs, they can be used in ponds, tanks, bathrooms, and wall shades. They are very efficient and durable waterproofing materials at construction sites.
Pros and Cons of App Waterproofing Membrane
House roofs and roads are exposed to harsh weather conditions such as direct heavy rain, raising the chance of leakage. Tanks and ponds also contain water throughout; therefore, if no membrane is used, there is a high chance that they might leak. When constructing the above structures, app membrane installation is recommended. It acts as a barrier against water penetration.
It is applied easily by laying it on a clean concrete floor using a welding torch and trowel to seal the membrane’s seams. The followings are the advantages and disadvantages of app membrane.
- It is easily installed. Installing an app membrane requires asphalt, which is spread on the floor before laying the membrane. It then sticks immediately, and no other work is done.
- It has excellent durability. App membrane has a minimum lifespan of 10 years. It can last over 30 years if well maintained when installed using a torch-on.
- It’s strong and hard. They have a high tensile strength from the 2 mm – 5 mm thickness, making breaking under tension from objects pressing them hard. This makes it suitable even in road construction, where heavy trailers and public and private vehicles move on.
- They are adaptable to any weather condition. Another great advantage of an App waterproofing membrane is that it is flexible to cold and hot weather conditions. They are known to have a long aging period due to their resistance to high rainfall.
- They are dimensionally stable. This means it can maintain its size under varying environmental conditions.
- It’s easy to repair any holes or tears in them. If any leakage is found in the app membrane, a specific glue designed for sealing is used.
- They expand with the movement of the structure, taking its’ shape, and whenever it’s long, it can be cut using a specific knife for that purpose.
- They require almost no maintenance.
- They also offer good insulation.
- When a leak happens, it isn’t easy to detect the source. The membrane is long and stuck together; finding a little hole is very difficult, and seeing it could take a lot of time.
- Installing app membrane requires hiring learned labor which is also expensive.
- App membranes are available in 1, 2, or 3-ply. The lesser the ply, the lower the quality, exposing it to wearing easily.
The above article describes the benefits and disadvantages of an app waterproof membrane and is a reference for anyone wanting to purchase it. The membrane has many advantages compared to the drawbacks that make it suitable for construction.