Turkey jerky is a popular snack that has been around for centuries. It’s a great way to get a protein-packed snack on the go, and it’s also a great way to add some flavor and texture to your meals. But with so many different types of turkey jerky out there, it can be hard to know which one is the best. Here’s a guide to help you find the best turkey jerky for your needs.
What is Turkey Jerky?
Turkey jerky is a type of jerky made from lean slices of turkey meat. It is seasoned with spices and dried to create a chewy, savory snack. It is often high in protein and low in fat, making it a popular snack for those looking to add a protein boost to their diets.
Benefits of Eating Turkey Jerky
- High in Protein: Turkey jerky is a great source of lean protein, providing an impressive 10-13 grams per 1-ounce serving. This makes it a great snack for people wanting to increase their protein intake, or for vegetarians and vegans who may struggle to get enough protein in their diets.
- Low in Calories: Turkey jerky is also very low in calories, making it a great snack for people trying to lose weight or just watch their calorie intake.
- Nutrient-Dense: Turkey jerky is filled with essential vitamins and minerals like selenium, phosphorus, and zinc, making it a nutrient-dense snack.
- Low in Fat: Turkey jerky is also low in fat, with most brands having 0-2 grams of fat per 1-ounce serving.
- Convenient: Turkey jerky is a great snack to keep on hand since it doesn’t require refrigeration and can be stored at room temperature. This makes it a great snack to take with you when you’re on the go.
How to Prepare Turkey Jerky?
Turkey jerky is a delicious and healthy snack that is easy to make at home. With a few simple ingredients and a few hours of marinating and drying, you can make your own delicious turkey jerky in the comfort of your own home.
– 2-3 pounds of turkey breast
– ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
– ¼ cup of low-sodium soy sauce
– 2 tsp of garlic powder
– 2 tsp of onion powder
– 2 tsp of smoked paprika
– 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
– 1 tsp of black pepper
- Slice the turkey breast into thin strips about 1/8 inch thick.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Place the turkey strips into the marinade, making sure to completely coat each piece. Cover the bowl and let the turkey marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the turkey strips from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 3-4 hours, flipping the strips every hour. The turkey jerky is done when it is dry and slightly chewy.
- Let the jerky cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy!
Different Types of Turkey Jerky
- Original Turkey Jerky: This classic jerky is made with lean ground turkey that has been seasoned with spices and then slow-smoked to perfection.
- Spicy Turkey Jerky: This jerky is made with ground turkey that has been blended with a spicy blend of seasonings and then slow-smoked to bring out its full flavor.
- Sweet & Spicy Turkey Jerky: This jerky is made with ground turkey that has been blended with a blend of sweet and spicy seasonings and then slow-smoked to bring out its full flavor.
- Teriyaki Turkey Jerky: This jerky is made with ground turkey that has been blended with a teriyaki-style seasoning blend and then slow-smoked to bring out its full flavor.
- Hickory Smoked Turkey Jerky: This jerky is made with ground turkey that has been smoked over hickory wood to bring out its full flavor.
- Applewood Smoked Turkey Jerky: This jerky is made with ground turkey that has been smoked over applewood to bring out its full flavor.
How to Store and Preserve Turkey Jerky?
- Place the turkey jerky in an airtight container and store it in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry or cabinet.
- If you plan to store the jerky for longer than a few weeks, it is best to freeze it. Place the jerky in an airtight container or freezer bag and store it in the freezer.
- To keep the jerky fresh, you can also vacuum seal it. Vacuum sealing creates a completely airtight environment, which helps to keep the jerky from becoming dry and brittle.
- To further preserve the jerky, you can also add a few drops of oil or vinegar to the package. This will help to keep the meat moist and prevent it from drying out.
- When you are ready to eat the jerky, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for several hours sccbuzz.
Where to Find the Best Turkey Jerky?
Turkey jerky is becoming increasingly popular due to its high protein content and low-fat content. It is a great snack for people who are looking for a healthy alternative to processed snacks. The best places to find turkey jerky are health food stores, gourmet markets, online retailers, and even some grocery stores. When looking for quality turkey jerky, look for brands that are made with natural ingredients, use no artificial flavors or preservatives, and are free of added sugar.